Basketball Strength Training 101: Tips for Beginners
If you have big dreams for your basketball career, it's just as important to fine-tune your body as it is your jump shot.
Some of the top strength coaches in basketball, like Alan Stein, insist that basketball players as young as 8 can do some training to build strength, even if it's simple exercises that don't include weights. Once players get closer to their teenage years, weight lifting can slowly be included.
Are you interested in learning more about basketball strength training? Let this be an introductory course on the benefits of strength training, plus a quick rundown of different exercises you can do to build your strength. You won't look like a beast overnight, but starting a safe and effective training program will be the first step in building a physical advantage over your opponents. Oftentimes, it's just as important as an advantage in dribbling, shooting or rebounding.
Basketball Strength Training Tips and Drills
• How Young Can Basketball Players Start Strength Training? -- Coach Alan Stein offers a blueprint for young basketball players looking to build their strength.
• Basketball Strength Training for Newbies -- This article gives examples of exercises basketball players new to strength training can do to establish a base.
• Strength Training Basics: Squats -- Former WNBA star Jennifer Azzi shows the proper technique for doing a crucial basketball exercise--the simple squat.
• Perfecting the Chest Press -- Whether you're on a bench or an exercise ball, here's how to do the chest press exercise the right way.
• The Technique of Tricep Extensions -- Azzi shows the picture-perfect way to do tricep extensions, which will maximize the effectiveness of the lift.
• Bicep Curls 101 -- Here's what you need to keep in mind to do bicep curls properly, courtesy of WNBA Fit.
• Shoulder Raises -- WNBA Fit shows the keys to the shoulder raise lift using dumbbells.
Click here to sign up to receive the Notebook, the official USA Basketball Youth newsletter!
- Jordan: Bobcats changing name to Hornets
- Clippers decline to offer Del Negro new deal
- Thunder's Durant makes $1M tornado relief pledge
- Knicks uncertain about Stoudemire's role
- Raptors' Colangelo out as GM, still president
- Warriors GM: 'Sense of desperation has passed'
- Help with Oklahoma tornado relief
- Hansen congratulates Sacramento on keeping Kings
Latest Message Board Threads
- Please help? Any NBA comparison's? Just please answer!
- PLEASE HELP/GIVE ME ADVICE
- What Are Your Favorite Shooting Drills?
- Remote Web Access Software for Project Collaboration
- On My Way