45-Minute Basketball Workout
Offseason conditioning is a key element in being a successful Division I athlete. At Mississippi State, the coaching staff leads their team through a series of fundamental workouts with and without the basketball.
Within the spring and summer the team spends up to four hours a week in the gym and four hours in the weight room improving their physical strength. The following 45-minute basketball workout should be preformed three days a week. Developing confidence, coordination, strength, timing, and stamina is the athlete's main focus throughout the workout.
I. Defensive Slides/Three minutes - (width of free throw line) three sets: 30 seconds on/off (27 is great)
II. Backboard Taps/Six Minutes - (with ball) 40 in a row: 10 right/left/alternating/both, rest 30 seconds, repeat three sets
III. Backboard Touch/Three minutes -- Start at free-throw line, sprint and slap backboard with both hands (net), sprint back and touch free throw line, repeat: 30 seconds on/off: 3 sets (11-plus is great)
IV. Mikan/Three minutes - (Hook right and left) 30 seconds on/off: three sets (17-plus is great)
V. Shooting Drill "10"/Six minutes - Begin at court 10 feet inside sideline; sprint and receive pass at one of 10 spots; if make, sprint out and touch court on opposite side and then come back for second shot on that side; repeat side to side until you follow shot and get your own rebound-shoot until you make it; then sprint out to touch court. If it is made, passer will rebound for you. Rest one minute and repeat, three sets. Shoot with in your range; vary spots.
VI. Heavy Rope or Regular Rope/Five minutes -- Alternate skips after 25 repetitions...run the rope...begin with right foot only/left/both/alternate/scissors/cross feet/twice under/crossover with arms: then repeat everything with rope in opposite direction (jump backwards) Note: Follow heavy rope directions only for regular jump rope
Click here to sign up to receive the Notebook, the official USA Basketball Youth newsletter!
- Report: Coach K returning to US men's team
- Spurs' Parker to have MRI on left calf
- Notebook: Spurs 93, Grizzlies 89
- Cavs win Draft lottery for second time in three years
- Noel claims top spot in first mock draft
- All-Access at 2013 NBA Draft lottery
- 2013 NBA Draft order
- Stern believes he is leaving the NBA in good shape
Latest Message Board Threads
- How does the Rapsberry Ketone diet work
- Please help? Any NBA comparison's? Just please answer!
- PLEASE HELP/GIVE ME ADVICE
- What Are Your Favorite Shooting Drills?
- Remote Web Access Software for Project Collaboration