Officiate the Defense, Think Like the Offense
Officiate the Defense
When officiating a game, you must recognize, understand and react to what the defense is doing. Defensive coverages often dictate offensive plays; they also greatly impact your court coverage. Watch where defenders are positioned on the court and what they're doing from those positions. Are they in a man-to-man? A zone? What type? By recognizing the defense, you can adjust your coverage and positioning accordingly.
"Officiate the defense" also means primarily watching the defender movements. You must watch the defense before judging whether the offensive player or defensive player committed a foul.
Obviously, "officiate the defense" doesn't mean you can watch only the defender. You must also watch the offensive player for violations and fouls. By maintaining good angles and establishing proper spacing, you can watch both players.
Think Like the Offense
Former players and students of the game usually make good officials. Why? They have learned as players to recognize defenses and they know what to do to beat those defenses. Good officials do the same thing. Once you've learned to recognize defenses and understand defensive tendencies, you must think about what the offense is likely to do and adjust accordingly. Gaining that knowledge allows you to anticipate correctly and move to get proper angles and spacing.
The more you know about the game, the less chance you have of getting surprised. Studying the rules and mechanics isn't enough. A complete official knows what's going on from the 'players,' 'coaches' and 'officials' perspectives.
Click here to sign up to receive the Notebook, the official USA Basketball Youth newsletter!
- Notebook: Spurs 93, Grizzlies 89
- Cavs win Draft lottery for second time in three years
- Noel claims top spot in first mock draft
- All-Access at 2013 NBA Draft lottery
- 2013 NBA Draft order
- Stern believes he is leaving the NBA in good shape
- Clippers decline to offer Del Negro new deal
- Jordan: Bobcats changing name to Hornets
Latest Message Board Threads
- Please help? Any NBA comparison's? Just please answer!
- PLEASE HELP/GIVE ME ADVICE
- What Are Your Favorite Shooting Drills?
- Remote Web Access Software for Project Collaboration
- On My Way