Basketball Animations to Improve Your Game
It's one thing to be told how good basketball is played. It's another to see exactly how it unfolds, step by step.
Thanks to Immersion Media, great basketball drills, tips, strategies and plays can now be learned visually--right here on iHoops.
Whether you're needing a breakdown of the pick-and-roll, a dissection of the 2-3 zone or just a great inbounds play that can lead to easy points, check out these animations to get a comprehensive look at how basketball is played by the best.
Also, check to see if your favorite animation has a .pdf file that you can print and take with you to practice! Look for the "Print" button at the bottom right of each animation to access the .pdf version of the animation.
- How to Beat a 2-3 Zone: What's the most accepted strategy for beating a 2-3 zone defense?
- How to Break a Trap: If you're trapped in the backcourt, what's your best move?
- Setting a Pick-and-Roll Screen: If you're setting the pick, how should you react to a defender who's overplaying?
- Breaking the Press: How do you best take on a full-court press and get the ball over the half-court?
- Beating Man-to-Man Pressure: How do you get on the same page as your teammates when facing an aggressive man-to-man defense?
- Where Should You Trap the Ball-Handler?: Where on the court is the best place to execute a trap?
- Defending at the End of a Tight Game: Up 3 with time winding down...do you foul?
- The Best Way to Strip the Ball: How can you go for a strip without getting whistled for the foul?
- Recovering a Loose Ball on the Floor: What's the best thing to do when you steal the ball on the floor?
- Saving the Ball From Going Out of Bounds: If you're falling out of bounds trying to save the ball, what's the best strategy?
- Offensive Rebounding of Free Throws: What's the best way to ensure possession off a missed free throw?
- Positioning for an Offensive Rebound: How can you position yourself up for a crucial offensive rebound?
- Protecting Your Rebound: How do you make sure your rebound isn't stripped away by an aggressive opponent?
- Inbounding After a Made Basket: Where's the best place on the baseline to inbound the ball?
- How to Feed the Post: What's the correct way to feed the ball inside?
- Passing Against a Zone Defense: How should you approach passing when playing against a zone defense?
Fast Break Scenarios
- Point Guard's 3-on-1 Fast Break Options: How do you take advantage of the numbers in a 3-on-1 fastbreak?
- Fast Break Options From the Wing: If you're on the wing during a 3-on-2 fast break, what's your best option to get the ball?
- Starting the Fast Break: Where should the point guard set up to receive an outlet pass?
- Defending a 2-on-1 Fast Break: What's the lone defender supposed to do in a 2-on-1 fast break?
The Classic Plays
- The Pick-and-Roll: A play used every night in the NBA because it's so hard to defend. See for yourself why it's a favorite for basketball teams.
- The Give-and-Go: Catch defenders napping at all levels with this simply executed play.
- The Back Door: Executed properly, the back door is one of the easiest ways to get an easy layup.
- The Drive-and-Kick 3-Pointer: Used effectively, the drive-and-kick gives your team plenty of open looks from 3-point range.
- Polish Your Jump Shot: Keep these fundamentals in mind an improve your jump shot instantly.
- Fundamentals of the 3-Point Shot: Learn the basic tips that will have you shooting 3-pointers better than ever.
- Perfect the Pull-Up Jumper: Work on your pull-up jumper and become a dangerous ball-handler no defense wants to deal with.
- Fundamentals of the Free Throw: Free throws are a high percentage shot, but only if you keep these fundamentals in mind.
- Execute a Perfect Layup: Practice these simple tips for layups and make sure you don't miss the easy ones.
Ball Handling Tips
- The Crossover Dribble: One of the most effective ways to create space between you and the defender. Here are tips for developing a super crossover.
- Passing on the Move: Uptempoed offense usually make passes on the move. Here's the best way to do it.
- The Speed Dribble: Work on moving fast while dribbling the rock with this easy drill.
- Fundamentals of the Chest Pass: Get a refresher course and touch up your skills on the most common pass in basketball.
- Shooting Off the Dribble: A good shooter has to be able to get an accurate shot off the dribble. Here is a breakdown of how to do that.
- Man-to-Man Defense: The most popular type of defense in basketball. Here are seven tips for being a lockdown man defender.
- The 2-3 Zone: The staple of perennial college basketball power Syracuse, find out how to make this zone defense tough for any team to take on.
- The 1-2-1-1 Full-Court Press: Turn up the heat on your opponent and force turnovers strategically with this breakdown.
- Motion Offense: This flexible offense is very productive with practice. Learn the keys to executing this offense perfectly.
- Flex Offense: This offense relies heavily on passing, screening and discipline to get good looks inside.
- Zone Offense: Attack a zone defense the right way by forcing defenders to collapse. Here is a step-by-step breakdown of how to do that.
- End-of-Quarter Play No. 1: Need one last bucket? This play uses double screens to get open looks for your best shooters.
- End-of-Quarter Play No. 2: This quick play sets up a short jumper for a post player, with a three-pointer as the backup plan.
- End-of-Quarter Play No. 3: With the seconds winding down, this play gives the point guard two passing options for a good look from three-point land.
- Out-of-Bounds Play No. 1: Make sure your best shooter has the ball with this flexible play.
- Out-of-Bounds Play No. 2: Use your post players as screens and get a couple of options for a long-range shot.
- Out-of-Bounds Play No. 3: A number of timely passes can give your shooter a chance from outside or your post player a look inside.
Click here to sign up to receive the Notebook, the official USA Basketball Youth newsletter!
- Knicks uncertain about Stoudemire's role
- Raptors' Colangelo out as GM, still president
- Thunder's Durant makes $1M tornado relief pledge
- Warriors GM: 'Sense of desperation has passed'
- West misses Pacers practice with leg issue, expects to play
- Help with Oklahoma tornado relief
- Hansen congratulates Sacramento on keeping Kings
- Report: Jordan changing Charlotte's name to Hornets
Latest Message Board Threads
- Please help? Any NBA comparison's? Just please answer!
- PLEASE HELP/GIVE ME ADVICE
- What Are Your Favorite Shooting Drills?
- Remote Web Access Software for Project Collaboration
- On My Way