Perfecting the Fake Crossover Dribble
I love using the fake crossover (aka "inside-out" dribble) to create space -- either for a pull up jumper, or to get all the way to the basket. It can also be used to go around a defender in the open court.
The fake crossover can be used as a "single move" to get the job done. Or it can be used with a second (and third) move, known as a "combination move." But remember, you always want to keep it as simple as possible. So, if the fake crossover frees you up, there is no need to go into a second move (the combination part of the move). BUT, it is great to have the combination move in your back pocket in case the defender cuts you off when you do the fake cross. If this happens, you can go into a number of different moves to go around your defender.
In the videos below, you'll see some examples:
Fake Crossover "Warm-Up" Series
I always make sure to get to the gym a few minutes early to get my dribbling warm-ups in. The first video is me using a series of moves, all beginning with the fake crossover. The purpose of the warm-up is to prepare me for full speed drills going to the basket; to improve the control I have with the basketball; and to work on the speed in which I dribble the ball.
In the above video you saw:
- 3 fake crossovers with each hand
- 1 fake crossover-crossover combination move, each way
- 1 fake crossover-between the legs combination move, each way
- 1 fake crossover-behind the back combination move, each way
- 2 "freestyle moves" -- here, I start with a fake crossover and go into whatever comes to mind on the fly
Note: Be sure to do the same amount with each hand. Better yet, spend more time working on your weaker hand.
The next video is me using a series of fake crossovers (single and combination moves) going to the basket for pull up jumpers.
Get to the court early, and the template is as follows:
- Stationary dribbling first
- Full speed dribbling -- either moves up and down the court, or moves to the basket.
If you aren't already doing so, make sure to incorporate the fake crossover, and the combo moves that go with it, into your game.
Click here to sign up to receive the Notebook, the official USA Basketball Youth newsletter!
- Notebook: Pacers 106, Knicks 99
- Pacers' Hill cleared to play Game 6
- Hill game-time decision as Pacers try to close out
- Film documents NYC playground basketball
- Former NBA player Danilovic seriously injured in fight
- Captivating season gives Warriors hope for future
- 2013 NBA Draft measurements and results
- Pacers mum about changes, Hill's status
Latest Message Board Threads
- Remote Web Access Software for Project Collaboration
- On My Way
- HELP!!!! AAU help.? skills?!?!
- PLEASE HELP/GIVE ME ADVICE
- What Are Your Favorite Shooting Drills?