5 Tips to Better Manage Your Time
As a high school basketball player, you probably feel overwhelmed at times. Like there aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done. It can be tough balancing classes, homework, practice, weight training, and time to relax with family and friends. And as challenging as it can be, you have to remember, "to whom much is given, much is expected."
Being a basketball player means you have more responsibilities and obligations than a "regular" student. Wear that like a badge of honor. And keep in mind you have the same number hours in your day (24) that pros have in their day!
Here are five quotes to help you prioritize and better manage your time:"It is better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret." Plan your day the night before. Don't go to sleep until you know exactly what needs to get done the following day. Have a prioritized "to-do" list and stick to it. Being organized is the first step in managing your time effectively.
"Don't waste time worrying about things you can't control." You can't control the fact your teacher said you have a paper due Friday. But you can control how you approach it. Complaining about the due date will get you nowhere. Put all of your energy and effort into the things you can actually have effect on!
"If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" Don't cut corners. Don't rush through things just get them done. Everything you do is a reflection of yourself. Put your best foot forward in your first attempt, it will save you time later!
"Don't confuse being busy with being productive." Do you know that 80 percent of your results come from 20 percent of your time? That's why a prioritized "to-do" list is so important. Don't get bogged down by trivial things, cut right to the important stuff. Focus on the stuff that gives you the most return.
"Do what has to be done. Do it when it has to be done. Do it as well as you can. Do it this way all of the time." That is the definition of discipline. If you are disciplined with yourself, you will be disciplined with your time.
Click here to sign up to receive the Notebook, the official USA Basketball Youth newsletter!
- Warriors GM: 'Sense of desperation has passed'
- Bosh ready to make up for lost playoff time vs. Pacers
- West misses Pacers practice with leg issue, expects to play
- Help with Oklahoma tornado relief
- Hansen congratulates Sacramento on keeping Kings
- Report: Jordan changing Charlotte's name to Hornets
- Lillard's 'entourage' accused of assault
- Knicks say they need time, not an overhaul
Latest Message Board Threads
- Please help? Any NBA comparison's? Just please answer!
- PLEASE HELP/GIVE ME ADVICE
- What Are Your Favorite Shooting Drills?
- Remote Web Access Software for Project Collaboration
- On My Way